Best Online Therapy Platforms 2023
Dr.Mental already tested and compared providers to help you make the best decision.
Looking for anxiety counseling, emotional support, therapy for depression, or mental health help with any other issues? Dr.Mental already tested and compared platforms to help you make the best decision.
Our Top 10 Picks for the Month
These reviews were created by our editorial team, and we try to keep them up-to-date. Nevertheless, we recommend that you contact the providers listed below to get more information. Note that some of the platforms listed pay referral fees to this website.
- Great option for cost-conscious customers
- Therapists are highly experienced and thoroughly background-checked
- HIPAA-compliant platform with text and video sessions available
- Therapists work with a wide range of issues
- Support is responsive and helpful
- You are able to switch therapists anytime
- Service is relatively new
- Simple sign-up & easy-to-use app
- You pick a licensed therapist yourself
- Communication via text, video, or audio messaging
- Live sessions available
- Special Offer: $65 off with code APPLY65
- Absence of free trial Period
- Therapist evaluation surveys can sometimes be annoying
- Some therapists provide only short responses
- Several subscription plans to choose from
- Individual therapy & medication management
- Accepts insurance
- Users can pay with HSA and FSA cards
- Prescriptions are mailed directly to your home
- Psychotherapy is not available in all states
- Insurance coverage varies by state
- No services for couples, families, and teens
- There are complaints about the quality of customer service
- Diverse pool of therapists
- Text, audio & live messaging
- Reviews from customers are mostly positive
- It's possible to switch therapists
- Slow support system
- Therapists are often overworked and feel distracted
- Sometimes therapists are late for video sessions
- Transparent pricing
- Licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and MDs
- Covered by many insurance providers
- Services available 24/7
- Couples and teen therapy available
- Mobile app support
- There are no subscription plans
- Inaccurate billing practices
- No messaging therapy
- Designed specifically for LGBTQ+ community
- Live chat, phone, and video session available
- Membership can be canceled anytime
- 100% confidentiality (all messages are encrypted)
- Transparent pricing plan & flat monthly fee
- Not covered by health insurance
- No free trial & money-back guarantee
- Lengthy Sign-up questionnaire
- Wonderful option for teenagers aged 13-19
- Therapy sessions can be held by way of an app, by phone, text, and video
- All user-therapist communication is private and takes place in the individual chat room
- Access to your therapist 24/7
- Unlimited counseling & transparent pricing
- No free trial & live chat with the support team on the website
- Requires parents to give consent for therapy
- Counselors may not be accessible 24/7
- Therapists can prescribe medication
- All therapists are available 24/7 from online portal
- Sessions are conducted via phone or video call
- Getting matched with a therapist takes 15 minutes
- Absence of per-visit fees or co-pays
- No option to select a preferred Therapist
- You Need a good internet connection for sessions
- No free trial Period offered
- Caters to individuals who want faith-based counseling
- Free educational seminars & 7-day trial available
- Complete confidentiality (you can sign up using a nickname)
- Unlimited access to counselors via live chat, weekly video & phone calls
- You are connected to a counselor before payment
- Automatic sign-up & matching with counselors
- Live assessment may be required to start therapy
- Little interaction and slow responses from counselors
7 cups of Tea
- Three-day trial period
- Perfect for teens between 13 and 17
- You can communicate with trained volunteer listeners for free
- Scheduled group sessions and chat rooms for specific issues available
- Works on mobile and desktop
- Therapists respond once or twice per day
- Absence of video/audio chatting or in-person appointments
- Non-intuitive user interface
Why Is Online Therapy a Convenient Solution?
The web has changed everything about our way of life. Now, you can easily access online counseling from your laptop or smartphone. You can get the help you need anywhere, anytime.
Working with a licensed counselor online means no need to travel to visit the therapist's office. It means arranging a session in the morning, evening, or during lunch break and saving your time and money.
Also, online therapy gives you the freedom to find a therapist who best meets your needs. You can continue getting support from them even during vacation or illness.
Several studies have shown that online therapy is as effective as or even more effective than in-person therapy for mood and anxiety disorders.
FAQ about Online Therapy
All information, rankings, and reviews on this website are based on a thorough analysis of each platform, customer success stories, feedback from professional therapists, and our team’s experience.
Yes. Therapy sites vet only licensed, trained, and experienced mental health professionals.
Each of the above sites takes serious steps to keep information protected and maintain your confidentiality.
Yes! Face-to-face treatment can cost you $100-$200 per session, while online therapy — only $65-$90 per week.
What Is Therapy At All?
Therapy is a powerful tool that can help us change the way we deal with our problems, think of ourselves, and build relationships with others.
It’s usually the first-line treatment that helps you cope with and overcome emotional problems and make positive changes in your life.
Therapy is one of the best ways to care for your mental health. With the guidance of a licensed mental health professional, your efforts, and the best therapies methods, you work in an atmosphere of full acceptance and support. You can share your thoughts, feelings, and emotions and feel understood. It can help build focus and get you closer to your goals.
Therapy can take place face-to-face or over the Internet.
What Is Online Therapy?
Online therapy is a web-based form of provision of therapy or counseling services. It involves a therapist and a client having sessions through the Internet.
There are many online therapy platforms today. For example, TalkSpace, Calmerry, BetterHelp, etc. They provide a safe, unbiased environment where people can work through their problems and get help and support from mental health professionals.
You can find some of the best online therapy providers on our website!
How Does Online Therapy Work?
Online therapy and counseling websites use various communication means:
- Asynchronous and instant messaging
- Online chats
- Video calls
- Phone calls
- Media sharing
They aim to provide an experience as close as possible to the traditional face-to-face visits. But online counseling services are more accessible. It does not require a client to visit a brick-and-mortar office. They can find an online therapist or get matched with them easily — on websites and apps.
A mental health professional can also reach out to the client whenever they need it from any device.
Does Online Therapy Really Work? Is It Effective?
Online therapy can be just as effective as in-person. This is the finding of several studies. For example, a proved that online cognitive behavioral therapy (iCBT) is as effective as a face-to-face treatment for depressive and anxiety disorders.
Web-based sessions are a solution for many people. It allows them to text and talks comfortably about the most personal thoughts, emotions, and feelings without the fear of judgment. They can get the support they need by joining the best online therapy 2022 platforms we compiled on this website.
Mental health professionals can easily help clients to make positive changes in their lives and find inner strength.
The important step is to find your best online counseling platform/app.
Important: e-therapy is not for everyone. If you or your loved one need immediate help, reach out to emergency numbers or sites.
What Are The Differences Between Face-To-Face Therapy And Online Therapy?
Firstly, the cost could be different. Usually, even on the best online therapy sites, the price is cheaper. Face-to-face therapy is more expensive, and you spend more time and money commuting to the office.
Secondly, you need to take time off work or your home duties to get to the counselor’s office. Getting help online is wherever and whenever comfortable for you.
Thirdly, the form of communication. During face-to-face meetings, you and your therapist can see body language and recognize the most subtle cues of each other. If it’s text therapy, it could be more difficult to do it. That’s why many prefer video calls. Video sessions usually last from 30 minutes to an hour.
However, text counseling gives you more time to reflect, and you don’t have to remember everything discussed — it’s all on your device.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Face-To-Face Therapy?
The disadvantage of face-to-face therapy is that it may be costly and time-consuming for those who don’t live near a mental health professional or have limited scheduling options.
Also, clients have to schedule the appointments in advance, which can be a problem due to the busy lifestyle and a counselor’s workload.
Besides, it can be difficult for people who live in remote areas — therapists are not always available nearby.
Therapy websites provide more flexibility and accessibility in these matters. However, e-counseling may not be an appropriate option for people who need more intense health care and attention.
What Are The Benefits Of Online Therapy?
Accessibility, affordability, and convenience are some of the recognized features of online therapy. These prove various online counseling reviews.
- Online therapy provides greater privacy and anonymity
- It saves time and money
- It can be useful for those who can’t talk about their problems with a clinician in-person
- It’s an effective way for people who are remote or unable to travel to get the help they need without having to leave their houses
- It makes it easier for people with unpredictable schedules to get support and treatment
- It also helps people who live in remote areas where there are few or no mental health professionals available
- It makes it easier to access the best therapy sites — all you need is your favorite device and the Internet.
- It’s an accessible way for anyone to care for their mental health anytime
Is Online Therapy Secure And Confidential?
Online therapy is a secure alternative to in-person sessions. You can use nicknames, and there is less risk of in-person meetings with other clients. This ensures your confidentiality.
Besides, to make online therapy as safe as possible, all — best therapy sites and less popular ones — use high-end encryption and privacy tools. Also, they abide by the widely-adopted standards for the protection of sensitive information (i.e, HIPAA, HITRUST CSF).
What Do I Need To Know Before Choosing Online Therapy?
Online therapy is not an absolute replacement for face-to-face therapy. And if you need more intense mental health care, are in crisis, have a severe mental health condition or self-harm or suicidal thoughts, choose appropriate help.
Still, e-counseling can be used as a good alternative for many people who can get help with many emotional issues and just care for themselves.
Your first job is to choose the best online therapists and platforms that suit you. It’s easier after reading our 30+ online therapy reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Counseling Services
Is Counseling Online As Effective As Face-To-Face Therapy? Which One Is Better?
Yes, e-counseling can be as good as in-office. However, it’s not uncommon for people to prefer one form of counseling service delivery over another. It depends on the person and the goal of counseling.
Web format may be better for people who are not able to see a counselor in-person or someone who has a busy schedule. For others, meeting a mental health professional face-to-face is more effective or even necessary.
The ultimate way to determine which form is the best for you is to try. Meet a counselor in-person or search for the best therapist websites. Know what you want from counseling and what your problems, preferences, and needs are.
Is Online Counseling Safe?
Yes, online counseling is safe. It involves two people: you and a counselor. Your safety is always the first priority for both of you and also for your top therapy site.
Online therapy software must be equipped with built-in features that ensure your safety and protect your information.
Also, Internet counseling services are the same sessions with a licensed mental health professional who strictly abides by the Code of Ethics.
How Does Relationship Counseling Work Online?
There are many families, couples, and individuals who can’t meet with a relationship counselor in-person. Online counselors provide help and support through the Internet, ask questions to help people understand what might be going on, and give them guidance, insights, and strategies to help them get through relationship challenges.
So, web-based relationship counseling works perfectly the same as face-to-face counseling, although remotely.
One of the most important points is to read the best therapies reviews and pick a relationship counseling site/app that suits you and your loved one.
Is Online Relationship Counseling Effective?
Online relationship counseling can be a very helpful tool for all people. It can be accessed anywhere and is available on any device. People can just read some therapy site reviews to choose the one or join their counselors’ websites to have sessions.
People who used online relationship counseling said that they felt more understood, heard, supported, validated, and like the counselor really cared about them. This type of counseling not only helps individuals but also helps couples and families who are struggling in their relationships or lives in general.
Frequently Asked Questions About Therapy Cost
How Much Does Therapy Cost?
Price is an essential aspect of teletherapy reviews. In face-to-face sessions, the costs are higher due to the overhead expenses, such as rent, commuting, insurance, etc.
As for the cost of e-therapy, it’s usually lower. However, there’s no set price. All platforms, apps, and websites establish their own prices for online therapy services. It depends on the form of counseling (text, video, phone), duration, packages offered, etc.
On average, top therapy platforms charge $65-$80 per week.
Is Online Therapy Worth The Money?
Yes, according to many client reviews and professional insights. They say that web-based therapy is a more affordable and convenient alternative to traditional in-person treatment.
The anonymity factor, accessibility, and convenience of online sessions make it worth the money for many people with busy schedules or those who need access to a global list of mental health professionals.
Where Can I Find Online Therapy Sites With Free Therapy Services?
There are some free online counseling chats with volunteers and peer groups. It can be an option for those who need emotional support or have a listening ear. However, such help is usually not provided by the licensed mental health professionals.
If you want to get professional therapy services for free, you can look for free trials on the platforms.
Frequently Asked Questions About Therapy Sites
What Is Teletherapy On Sites?
Teletherapy is the same as online therapy — it’s the provision of counseling services via the Internet, from anywhere in the world. The client and therapist can communicate by phone, audio, video, emails, or text messages on digital platforms, apps, chatrooms, websites for therapists, etc.
What Do I Need For Teletherapy On Websites And Apps?
First, you should define the best online therapy 2022 for you and choose the platform.
Second, you should ensure that the site can deliver counseling services to you. Check the age and residence requirements and whether the platform can fulfill your needs.
Also, one of the most important aspects of e-therapy is having a stable Internet connection, device, microphone, and video camera if needed.
Is Online Therapy Legit On Sites/Apps?
Absolutely, since e-therapy is a digital form of talk therapy that uses the media to provide professional, evidence-based therapeutic services.
Online therapy is not a replacement for in-person treatment, but it increases the availability of mental health care and reduces the stigma.
Frequently Asked Questions About Insurance
Does Insurance Cover Online Therapy?
Since teletherapy grows in popularity worldwide, and more and more people turn to it, insurance companies reconsider their policy on coverage for this type of health care.
So, yes, some insurance providers do cover online therapy. However, others don’t cover it at all. So before considering online counseling services, check with your insurance provider what they cover and what they don’t.
Luckily, the cost of teletherapy is quite affordable, allowing people with financial challenges to get professional support and care.
Are There Any Online Therapy Sites That Take Insurance?
Yes, there are some sites that accept insurance. You can find this information directly on the websites or by reading online counseling reviews here.
Note that a lot depends on your insurance provider, so you should check this matter with them, too.
How To Get Therapy Without Insurance?
You don’t have to have insurance to get counseling services. Many of the world’s best sites offer support for affordable prices. Just choose the package or subscription plan that suits you.
In our reviews, you can find out all about the costs and insurance policies.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Health Professionals
How To Choose An Online Therapist?
There are some important steps to take when choosing the best online therapists:
- Check that the therapist is licensed and has professional qualifications
- Choose therapists with relevant experience and training
- Check therapists ratings
- Learn about their best therapies methods, modalities, and tools they work with
- Make sure they specialize in the issue you want to work on
- Engage in the first session to get to know each other better
Usually, you can get your mental health professional on therapist websites or get matched with them on online therapy platforms. Top therapy sites allow you to indicate your preferences to get the best match.
Anyway, choose the expert you’re comfortable with. Start the first session to know whether you suit each other.
Are Online Therapists Legit?
Absolutely. While you might not be seeing your therapist face-to-face, you will work with a licensed and trained mental health professional as you would in-person. The only difference is that the format of communication is web-based.
Best online counseling services, apps, platforms, and websites hire only licensed and vetted mental health professionals. Technologies made it easier for them to start online practice and help clients get the help they need.