What Is Borderline Personality Disorder?
BPD is characterized by regular mood changes in an individual. These impulsive actions are due to signs of the condition that end up destroying relationships. A common trait of a borderline personality disorder is showing frequent episodes of emotional outbursts. BPD refers to psychological states that emerge from one’s childhood and grow to adulthood. When it is left untreated, it can persist for years and result in a lot of stress. Advocating for the proper BPD therapy technique for the particular illness case can result in positive outcomes.
What are 9 Common Symptoms of BPD?
- - Unhealthy relationships. Most people with borderline personality disorder in most relationships end up with breakups and heartbreaks. The couple argues over conflicting issues. There is a lack of trust in the relationship.
- - Abandonment issues. Most individuals have a fear of being alone or feel abandoned. Therefore, the individuals form a protective cover, whether real or fake. The individuals do not trust their partners, thus causing more strain on the relationship.
- - Self-destructive tendencies. Patients with borderline personality disorder show high levels of impulsive behaviors. Some common behavioral issues include drug or alcohol addiction, shopping sprees, or engaging in risky sexual activities.
- - Emotional swings. The trait of failing to control your emotions goes hand in hand with borderline personality disorder. It usually evokes mood swings that occur shortly without any cause.
- - Shifting self-image. Most people with BPD usually struggle with finding their real identity among the different personalities they have. The person lacks a clear path in their life and future.
- - Self-harm Most BPD people tend to show signs of self-harm tendencies in the form of thoughts and threats. Self-harm forms causing pain to one’s self without the initial intent of committing suicide.
- - Harbored anger. A common trait for BPD people is their tendency to feel angry and be short-tempered. Most people end up spending most of their time consumed by anger without any cause.
- - Outside world thinking. Most borderline personality disorder people tend to think outside of this world. The out of touch with reality leas to paranoia. The people dissociate with people from the actual world.
- - Feeling empty. It comes after one is dealing with abandonment issues after going through an emotional experience. The person cannot find anything satisfying to shake off the feeling.
What Does a BPD Relationship Look Like?Getting involved with a person with borderline personality disorder can prove to be challenging. Most relations are either dysfunctional or face a great deal of turmoil. Other people diagnosed with borderline personality disorder will be affectionate, caring, and considerate. The high level of devotion to their partner makes the individuals lovable. In some cases, the individual tends to be in need of close contact with their loved one. Some individuals have scares due to abandonment issues or rejection. Others obsess over signs that their partners are either unhappy or plan on leaving them.
Most individuals with borderline personality disorder tend to focus on little signs in a relationship. When they perceive a shift in feelings, the person tends to withdraw. The shift can either be real or imaginary in their world. In the worst cases, people tend to become obsessive. After some time, their partners cannot stand their emotional drawbacks. It can lead to public altercations or constant disagreements.
What Majorly Causes Borderline Personality Disorder?Research is yet to establish the main cause of borderline personality disorder. However, a psychologist will reveal that different factors increase the risk of growth of a psychological condition. Here is a breakdown of some risk factors that urge the increase in the psychological condition:
- - Family History. If someone in your family suffers from borderline personality disorder, there are chances for others to have this psychological condition.
- - Brain factors. The brain controls various impulses and emotions. Recent research reveals that chemical changes normally happen within the brain. The changes elicit different reactions to emotions and impulses by a person. It is yet to be revealed whether it acts as a trigger or a result of the disorder.
- - Other related factors. A common characteristic of borderline personality disorder people is sharing a traumatic experience or childhood. The individual might have experienced an abuse phase in their life. Other people experience unstable or unhealthy relations.
How Do Doctors Test for Borderline Personality Disorder?Overall evaluation for symptoms marks the preliminary steps for a full borderline diagnosis. A BPD test online follows by looking at the individual's recent medical file. A medical practitioner might undertake a physical exam in addition to a lab borderline personality disorder test. The BPD test helps in eliminating other related borderline conditions that can form a close link.
The medical practitioner will help in narrowing down to the specifics of the condition for a proper borderline diagnosis. Other close disorders bear the same symptoms that can be mistaken for the other.
How Do Therapists Treat Borderline Personality Disorder?It takes time before finding a working formula through counseling that works for your particular BPD situation. However, a proper diagnosis goes a long way in finding the preferred solution for BPD. Achieving a better quality of life calls for high-quality professionalism in the field of expert.
BPD is positively linked with changing behaviors such as self-harm or suicide; the treatment plan helps address these issues. Finding the perfect solution for BPD requires a treatment plan that targets specifically the mental condition. Here are some advocated treatment plans for the condition.
PsychotherapyIt is a highly recommended treatment plan for borderline personality disorder. A patient talks to an expert over their underlying issues. The expert draws deductions on what could be the root cause of the troubles. The therapist sessions help the individual go through in-person interactions with others while expressing themselves.
A therapist specializing in BPD should work effortlessly with the client to work out a solution. A common trait for a borderline personality disorder is that it complicates the process of forming meaningful attachments with other people that are outside their social circle. The success of the process shows how work with a therapist is important.
Let’s talk about the common methods used for the treatment of borderline personality disorder.
The DBT works best for patients diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder. It majorly incorporates techniques related to achieving mind fitness and accepting the situation. Furthermore, it helps teach about controlling emotions while building interpersonal relationships. One major standout feature for the procedure is its ability to tackle the core root of the problem.
The CBT for borderline personality disorder is known to help deeply in analyzing the belief system held by a person. Furthermore, it looks into thought patterns for an individual that evokes different behaviors that constitute the symptoms. It aims to change the belief systems and behaviors held by people to improve one's interactions. Completion of a full borderline personality disorder session will help in making an improvement for your reactions in various situations. It aims at reducing the negative thoughts that necessitate hurting oneself.
MedicationMedication is not a profound borderline personality disorder method when it comes to treating the condition. It might come in handy in case certain conditions get out of hand such as:
- - Repetitive mental episodes;
- - Depression;
- - Mood changes;
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Borderline Personality Disorder Serious?
Yes. BPD will play a hand in destroying relations with family members, co-workers, and strangers. People with borderline personality disorder tend to show a tendency to be highly sensitive. Small triggers in everyday interactions can cause an emotional response. During the emotional state, the individual might take on various actions without a thought on the repercussions.
Without a proper treatment plan, the personality disorder might last for years. Furthermore, you might misdiagnose your mental health symptoms for a common illness. You need to analyze each personality disorder symptom to discover a proper plan for your recovery.
Coping Techniques for BPD
When battling with BPD, various self-care tips can be adopted to help cope with the mental condition without any pricing. Here are some self-care tips you can use to improve your status.
Seek proper treatment. When encountering a person with BPD characteristics, you should consult an expert to tackle the specific case scenario. Qualified professionals in this line include psychologists, counselors, and a psychiatrist.
Seek accurate borderline personality disorder diagnosis. The health expert should narrow down the symptoms to find a proper plan for your case. Each case necessitates a different treatment plan for the specific case at hand.
Adopt a plan. In the future, a plan after diagnosis helps form part of the coping strategies. The therapist can help determine a specific treatment plan that might include a medication schedule or therapy sessions.
What to Look for in a BPD Therapist Near Me
The guidance from a therapist goes a long way in treating the specific mental state. The sessions help towards the journey to recovery. Through the mental help sessions, the patient can learn how to develop trust and other coping strategies for their condition.
A certified professional knows precisely which treatment plan to advocate for the patient. Most therapies that cater to the patient’s personality condition have resulted in good outcomes and recovery. Most treatment approaches that focus on borderline personality issues show a high level of efficacy in controlling borderline personality emotions. There does not exist any particular approach for the particular condition.
Most therapists encourage regular education and counseling concerning the disorder at a fair price. The general cost of borderline personality disorder treatment depends on how severe the condition is. It also involves improving their emotional and social skills that go a long way in treating borderline personality disorder.
DrMental company offers a shortcut for top BPD help online services with a directory consisting of expert therapists with enough experience in the industry. Search our website to find a psychiatrist on borderline personality disorder near me today.